Co-operative facts round-up
Those of you who follow @WalesCoOpCentre on Twitter may have noticed we have been tweeting many co-operative facts throughout Co-operatives Fortnight.
Here are many of them condensed into one page:
- Leisure centres in Neath Port Talbot are services provided by a co-operative – Celtic Community Leisure.
- Llanmadoc Community Shop on the Gower run ‘Linda’s Gower Breakfast’ each month – not to be missed!
- Over 800 million people are members of co-operatives around the world.
- In Canada and Norway, 1 in every 3 people is a member of a co-operative, 1 in 4 in Germany and US.
- 239 million people in India are members of co-operatives.
- In Singapore, 50% of the population are members of co-operatives.
- In Belgium, co-operative pharmacies have a market share of 19.5%
- In Brazil, co-operatives are responsible for 72% of the wheat production, 44% barley, 43% soya, 39% milk, 38% cotton.
- Canadian maple sugar co-operatives produce 35% of the world’s maple sugar production.
- 45.3 million people in Asia are members of a credit union.
- In New Zealand, 40% of the adult population are members of co-operatives and mutuals.
- In 2006 Brazilian co-operatives exported 7.5m tons of agricultural products for USD 2.83 billion to 137 countries
- In Cyprus, the co-operative movement holds 30% of the market in banking services, and handles 35% of all marketing of agricultural produce.
- In Denmark, consumer co-operatives in 2007 held 36.4% of consumer retail market.
- In Norway, dairy co-operatives are responsible for 99% of the milk production.
- Co-operatives provide over 100 million jobs around the world, 20% more than multinational enterprises.
- In the US, almost 10,000 credit unions provide financial services to about 84 million members.